By Elizabeth Prata
A reader this week suggested making a short list of “What’s wrong with Beth Moore” that quickly shows why people should avoid her teachings. I do have a compendium of links of various types in one place. Some are videos, some are podcasts, some are essays. They’re written by pastors/theologians, women Bible teachers, and me. The critiques start in 2011 and go to the present day.
Anyone can look at the links and pick one that suits the targeted individual the person is trying to help avoid Beth Moore.
But while that is helpful, it might be overwhelming for some people, the reader suggested. So a short list was mentioned. I remembered I had done a bulleted list about Joyce Meyer, below. I also did a fairly short bulleted list about Lysa TerKeurst, here.
So I said to the reader I’d do it for Beth Moore, too. But meanwhile, when I dug this one out to review its format and check over my previous work, I present it to you today.
Bullet points on why Joyce Meyer is a false teacher
Joyce Meyer is a very popular female Bible teacher and preacher. She has been on the scene for decades, and shows no signs of slowing down. She has 10 offices around the world and employs 500 people. Her brand of charismatic/name-it claim it religion has deceived many. This is sad, but the Bible says that many will be deceived by false teachers. I pray that anything here will spark a further Berean investigation by the reader and through prayer, come to the other side of discernment in understanding why Meyer should be avoided.
- Joyce Meyer preached that Jesus was a sinner, had been born again, stopped being the Son of God, paid for our sins in hell (from 1991 Booklet called The Most Important Decision you Will Ever Make), and was tormented there. Meyer preaches a different Jesus. She is a heretic.
- Joyce Meyer preaches to men and mixed gender audiences in violation of 1 Timothy 2:12.
- Joyce Meyer operated as an associate pastor in a church in violation of 1 Timothy 2:12.
- Joyce Meyer preaches that it is normal and expected to hear directly from God, when contrary to her claim, the scriptures claim they are sufficient (2 Timothy 3:14-17), and the Word is closed. (Revelation 22:18-19). Yet she teaches that God speaks individually to people today. Example, in essay “It’s not that complicated” (scroll down!) she wrote -“Do you ever wonder if God speaks to people? You’ll be happy to know the answer is yes. But first let me explain how distractions can hinder His voice” and taught more from her book How to Hear from God or in this video.
- Joyce Meyer claims she is not a sinner. This is in violation of 1 John 1:8, which says that such people are deceived and the truth is not in them.
- There’s more, but these should suffice to illustrate to the reader that Joyce Meyer’s teaching is not edifying.
Please do not allow a teacher’s longevity lull you into thinking they must be good. Please do not allow a ministry’s global breadth to lull you into thinking he or she is good. In fact the Bible says that popularity is often a mark of falsity. (Luke 6:26). The world wants their ears tickled. In 2 Timothy 4:3 we read
For the time will come when they will not tolerate sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance with their own desires,
If you follow Joyce Meyer, please consider these things. Please stay in the pure, undefiled faith, and find some good Bible teachers to follow, beginning with your own pastor and elders at your own church.
5 thoughts on “Bullet points on why Joyce Meyer is a false teacher”
Concerning item 1, in the audio clip she said, “He was sin,” not “He was a sinner. ” There is a difference. See also 2 Cor. 5:21 ESV, “For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.”
I’m confident that you were not trying to misrepresent her.
Though I do not consider Joyce Meyer a sound teacher, I’m not ready to say whether she is a heretic. If my memory is right, she abandoned one or two of her weird teachings, and heretics rarely accept a correction about even one belief.
There were plenty of links to support the facts I outlined in the piece. The links clearly demonstrate her erroneous teachings. I am confident that your backhanded compliment was not meant to slander me.
1. Meyer said Jesus was born again. Being born again means to be saved from the wrath of God for a person’s sins (Eph. 2:1-3). So, she said Jesus was a sinner. Do you know what being born again means?
2. Any “Bible” teacher who claims the things she does, is a heretic. Full stop. Here is another good site that shows this. https://bereanresearch.org/word-of-faith-false-teacher-joyce-meyers-shocking-doctrine-and-heresy/
3. She has not repented. She has denied or rejected some of her teachings, but then, she still keeps teaching error. She says what is necessary to please critics and keep the money flowing in. If she was truly sorrowful over her sinful teachings, she would stop teaching error. She hasn’t.
4. If you are “not ready to say whether Meyer is a heretic”, when she clearly is, I’d say you need to ask the Spirit to help train you in increasing your discernment, Hebrews 5:14. You can start here: https://www.gotquestions.org/spiritual-discernment.html
LikeLiked by 2 people
Thank you for the careful reply. Yes, may the Lord increase my discernment. I avoid Joyce Meyer’s teaching for numerous reasons including various false things she has taught, but has she ever taught that Jesus sinned? I have not yet found any evidence of that.
You’re welcome. Please note that I already told you the evidence, that she taught that Jesus sinned by saying he was born again.
She also said Jesus stopped being the Son of God, an obvious heresy. Jesus did not ever stop being the son of God. Claiming that Jesus stopped being divine, the eternal Son of God, the 2nd person of the Trinity is an attack on the nature of Christ. Believing this and teaching this indicates Meyer is not saved.
LikeLiked by 2 people
Reblogged this on Truth2Freedom's Blog.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Comments are closed.